Monday, March 9, 2015

Bucks, Does, and Other Beasties


There is still a little snow on the shady parts of the mountain. However if you keep your ride at a lower altitude the trails look good. Today I took a ride on the Spanish Fork bike trail starting in the city and then working my way into farm land and then up into the foot of the mountains where the snow is mostly melted and the beasties are everywhere. I was able to try out some new gear that I believe am really going to like. 

The Spanish Fork Bike Trail has some changes to it. A new diversion dam near the golf coarse area of the trail. This will change some of the fish habitat in that section and will give better water control for the small farms that use that water for irrigation. There is a section of that trail that has been in negotiation between the private land owner and the city for years now. Base on what I saw today it looks like they may have worked it out. I actually rode that section today for the first time. I approached it from the west where I entered pass the gate. For the first time there was not a "No Tress Passing" sign there. It looks like the city is doing a lot of work on the trail in that section. I did discover what looked like an old pioneer cabin. Someone had it up on a trailer as if they were getting ready to move it. I hope they will keep it in some place where it can be taken care of. It reminds me of the Jacob G. Bigler cabin in pioneer village in the Lagoon theme park. Jacob is my wife's ancestor and he was the personal friend of both Brigham Young and Joseph Smith. In Utah he was also the founder of the city of Nephi. I am sure there is a great legacy that goes with this cabin. 




Getting off the Spanish Fork Bike Trail and on to the road that leads to a trail with lots of loose rock and a major incline gave me a chance to really test out the new gear I put on my bike: A new seat bag and some "anything cages".  I have to say that it really balanced out the climb. It is hard to believe but I think it made the climb easier than having no baggage at all. The extra weight on the front forks kept the front down a little better when the back tire was really torquing. I was worried about the cages turning on the rougher trail but I had no problems. I have them fastened with zip ties (lots). I am very happy with the set up and I am looking forward to some great single track trips this summer. 




For hill climbing I will take the seat bag and anything cages every time. Winner winner chicken dinner.

After getting up to the main trail the first thing you notice is the thousands of animal tracks. Mostly mule deer and raccoon. Just as I was looking down at them to see the diversity a pheasant rooster spooks up with a blasting take off and crowing as it flies away. Talk about a heart attack. If you have ever had that happen to you then you know what I am talking about. After my heart settled down I thought to myself "I will be seeing a lot of deer today" and I was right. 











Yeah! spring is here! knock on wood



No comments:

Post a Comment