Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Old Technology

I was looking at a friends old steel cromoly frame yesterday and I was thinking how much I really liked it. Don't get me wrong. I have a full suspension mountain bike and there is no way I would want that to be steel.  However, take away the suspension and it is hard to beet the steel frame for the back roads. There is something to be said about simplicity. This inspired me to think about other things that I liked better the old school way. I really like my old 1980's Cannondale panniers. They are really solid and have held up well over the years.



Keep in mind, not everything old is better. Lighting has sure changed. My 1980's halogen light does not hold a candle (pun intended) to my 1600 lumen flashlight for under ten dollars. The mount cost me just a few dollars and the lighting is amazing and adjustable. Now back to the mount. It was not very expensive and I think we can categorize this one as "cheap". I am on my second one. They do not hold up well under stress. I suppose I could afford to buy several at that price however, I would rather pay more for one that would hold up to rougher riding.

This 300 lumen flashlight with mount holds up better. But I have to have the lighting. At this point I can't go backwards. 
300 lumen vs 1600 lumen is a no brainer.

Happy Trails! Rest in the shade.








No comments:

Post a Comment