Thursday, August 29, 2013

Change of Season

Don't worry it is not over yet. There are still plenty of good riding days left in the summer and fall season. You just may have to bring some rain gear with you. The days are starting to be less predictable so it is time to hone those old boy scout skills and just "be prepared" for anything. I recall a time when I was snowed on at a southern California beach area (Palos Verdes) in August. Weird! With rain gear you always stay warm as long as you are riding.

Another change in the season is the passing of my brother Fred. He is the big guy. I did my first bicycle touring with these guys. They are my inspiration. These young lads were making leather paniers for there bicycles and taking many journeys in southern California in the 1970's. I think we road on every flood controlled system in the San Gabriel Valley. We knew every shortcut and every dirt trail that there was in our area. We even made a few. We would ride early in the morning when it was still dark and arrive at our destination just as the sun was peaking over the horizon. We cooked our breakfast on an open fire at the lake because we didn't have fancy backpacking stoves. Memories to last an eternity. Love you Fred. (picture came from Renee Souleret's facebook page).
Picture from Lucy Souleret

No comments:

Post a Comment