Friday, February 26, 2016

Return to Green River: Kayak

I thought I would mix it up a little. It is not to long from now that all you northerners will get the renewing of the snow melt. The sun is already bringing 50 plus degree days here is central Utah. Green is coming through and the flowers are about to take a peek at the sun. What a marvelous  reminder of the coming of a new day. All things are new to be lead forth by good hearts and bring peace to yourself and those around you: make it good, make it count, make it forever.

I will be looking for some new and adventurous trails this year and I love to follow a river. There is something about the sound of water that relaxes me. A river usually offers good terrain and essentially easy access to water and fishing.

So I had a thought from the past that brings me to the Green River. A fews years ago I did a rafting trip on the Green and I remembered a hiking trail that followed the river. Not a very big trail but good enough for an amazing bikehike/fishing trip. So I did some research to see if there were some restrictions on the trail and this is what I found:
The Little Hole National Recreation Trail follows the north side of the Green River between Flaming Gorge Dam and Little Hole seven miles down-stream. Hiking and fishing access are the major attractions. Camping, fires, and horse use are NOT allowed on this section and mountain biking is NOT allowed Memorial Day to Labor Day weekends.
This sounds like a post Labor Day fall trip to me. In the mean time there is more scouting and research to do. I think this merits a kayaking trip.

 A few years ago we launched at the Flaming Gorge dam and then spent the night on the river bank for a serine camping experience. It was a great trip full of rapids, fishing, and tons of good clean fun. Some of the group were pretty young and some will get the chance to return again to soak in the beauty of the river, however this time on Kayaks.

2012 Rafting Trip 


Canoe vs Raft

Kayaking trip video to come in June.





No comments:

Post a Comment