Monday, February 2, 2015

Precious Water


 I can put down a lot of water when I am on a bicycle tour and I always have the next water source on my mind when peddling long distances. Bikepackers often carry dehydrated food that require additional water for cooking.  As a rule I carry one extra bottle full more than the planned need for the ride (a ride can be a section between water sources). When living in the desert states of the USA or other arid areas you know how deceiving maps can be when it comes to water sources. There can be a creek or pond showing on the map however when arriving you find it is completely dry. A sinking feeling I have experience a few times in my life. 

Here are a few good rules to help:

*Always be thinking about water
*Always carry extra water
*Clean water first, however dirty water is better than no water (carry a filter)

*Domiciles have water (if someone lives there then there is water)


*Businesses have water (Thank you! McDonald's ice water and WiFi)


* Camp by a water source (you drank water to get there and you will need to fill up to ride out)


Here is a great example of water preparation for traveling in the western United States.




No comments:

Post a Comment